From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Blaicher, Christopher Y.
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How expensive is AMODE switching?

All I can say is WOW, also.  There are only two reasons I can think of to have
it cost that much. 1) It is a milli-code instruction, or 2) It purges the
pipeline.

If that time is for each instruction, then I tend to think it is milli-code.
If the time is for a SAM64/SAM31 pair, then I think it is a hardware level
instruction that happens to purge the instruction pipeline.