On 05/04/2016 05:54 PM, Walt Farrell wrote:
It would need to purge the pipeline, wouldn't it?

I would think that all the operand addresses for instructions in the pipeline
would need to be recalculated. And I suspect it might affect instruction
interlocks and out-of-order instruction execution, too.

One wonders if one should put one or two pipe-cleaners ahead of such an instruction so that the pipe(s) get flushed before the change to 31 or 64 occurs.

Regards,
Steve Thompson