<snip>
SLIP command description has the following note for the COMP= operand:
Note: 1. The SLIP action is not taken when the abend completion code is
originally a program check (code 0C4) that the system converts to a new
value. The following abend completion codes may be originally a program
check and converted ones: 11A, 12E, 15D, 15F, 200, 212, 25F, 279, 282,
42A, 430, 57D, 700, 72A, A00, B00, and E00.
<e-snip>

SLIP gets control in 4 environments:
-- PER
-- RTM1 (think "FRR")
-- RTM2 (think "ESTAE")
-- MEMTERM

Completion code applies to the last 3. As to the question, in practice, it
is typically only for some sort of 0C4 (whether PIC 10, PIC 11, PIC 38,
etc)  that routines convert that program check to something else, such as
"I tried to access storage identified by the caller, but failed, so
provide a nicer completion code for the user to deal with than the generic
0C4". It could be any program check, it just happens not to be.

SLIP gets control before recovery routines, so any completion code set by
the recovery routine is not matchable by a SLIP trap.

>SmartRestart surely needs an ESPIE of its own to be able
>to recognize problems and act accordingly.

I know nothing about SmartRestart, but even LE recommends not using its
ESPIE path (and wisely so, in general). ESPIE is so restrictive that there
is no "surely" here.

>The exit can try to recover or not. If not, it
>percolates to the Recovery Termination Manager. The Program Interrupt
>gets converted to a S0Cx abend.

This is not true in general. As of z/OS 1.12 the ESPIE exit can request
that percolation. It does not happen otherwise. The exit can choose to
"keep running" or it can choose to "resume" the mainline (by returning to
the address in reg 14 on entry). Maybe you think about that as "recover or
not", it really does not have to be related to that. Regardless, RTM is
not involved unless requested (EPIEPERC is the bit).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design