Until now our site's use of email from the mainframe has been very limited, due
to security concerns.

However I am not to be allowed to use email in a limited way.

The JCL I was told to use was
//S16DBNA1 JOB (XO,005,0099,1,0),NAT,NOTIFY=&SYSUID,
//     TIME=(001,39),CLASS=O,
// REGION=5M
/*JOBPARM  SYSAFF=BL1A
//IEBGENER EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSUT1 DD *
HELO N1
MAIL FROM:<HILIRI_HORVITZE@SNIFIM.BLROOT<mailto:HILIRI_HORVITZE@SNIFIM.BLROOT>>
RCPT TO:<HILARY_H@SNIFIM.BLROOT<mailto:HILARY_H@SNIFIM.BLROOT>>
DATA
SUBJECT:SUBJECT LINE
HALLO . THIS IS EMAIL
FROM THE MAINFRAME.
BYE    .
.
QUIT
/*
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=(B,SMTP)
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=V
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=V

But I have a few problems with this.
If the email  fails the job ends with a 0, and until a rejection email arrives
back to me, I have no idea of problems.

I have a feeling we have a hole in the knowledge of our tcp people here. Is
this the way to work ? Surely the job should be able to know if the email was
sent?

I came from VSE environment where we were given responses.
Is this the best way to send emails ?

What am I missing ?

Hilary

PS the jcl above works with no problems, so don't try and debug it please  ;)