cpvitu...@arkbluecross.com (Vitullo, Carmen P) writes:
> I found this out some time ago working for Boeing, even though we were
> one company, we still had to submit a budget each year for computing
> services, this drove Boeing Helicopters to look at alternatives,
> mostly the costs of CATIA and CADAM, on Big Iron, distributed was
> initially cheaper, but in the long run many cost overruns due to poor
> planning and a desire to 'just get off the mainframe at any cost',
> that's what drove us to look at consolidation afterwards, then
> migrations to / from other platforms....if it made sense :)

60s we started doing lots of stuff to leave system up 7x24 for online
access. Part of the issue was that (especially initially), offshift
online access was very light so there was little useage ... but in order
to encourage offshit useage, the systems had to be available
7x24. Because of light useage there would be little recovery charges
... so lots of things were done to minimize offshift expenses. This was
in the days when mainframes were leased and charges were based on system
meter that ran whenever the processor and/or any channel was busy
... also everything had to be idle for at least 400milliseonds before it
the system meter would stop (triva: long after mainframes had switched
from leases to sales, MVS still had a time ever that went off every
400ms, making sure system meter would never stop). In any case, came up
with special channel programs for terminal I/O ... that would let the
channel "go idle" ... but would immediately startup when there was any
characters. Also lots of support for "dark room" ... not requiring
offshift operators.

For big cloud megadatacenters, the price of systems has so dramatically
dropped that they have hundreds of thousands of "blades" (each blade
with more processing power than max. configured mainframe) supported by
staff of 80-120 people per megadatacenter. Also with the dramatic cut in
system cost, the major expense has increasingly become power &
cooling. The big cloud datacenters have been on the leading edge of
systems where power&cooling drop to near zero when idle ... but are
effectively instant on for ondemand computing.

while an undergraduate in the 60s, I was hired as fulltime boeing
employee to help with the formation of boeing computer services ...
consolidate all computing into independent business unit as part of
better monetizing the investment (which would also have the freedom to
sell computing services to non-boeing entities, a precursor to cloud
computing).  at the time, I thought renton data center was possibly the
largest in the world with something like $200M-$300m (60s dollars) in
ibm mainframe gear (for a period, there were 360/65s arriving faster
than they could be installed, boxes were constantly being staged in the
hallways outside the datacenter).

there was disaster scenario where mt rainier warms up and the resulting
mudslide takes out the renton datacenter. the analysis was that the cost
of being w/o the renton datacenter for a week was more than the cost of
the renton datacenter ... so there was a effort underway to repicate the
renton datacenter up at the new 747 plant in everett.

in any case, the politics with the different plant managers tended to
dwarf any technical issues.