Is there any good reason IBM could not offer Cloud Z starting at $0? Would not?

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Scott Chapman
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Why Can't You Buy z Mainframe Services from Amazon Cloud Services?

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:54:27 -0500, Steve <st...@stevebeaver.com> wrote:

>If you look at the sheer cost if setting up a zOS ecosystem, its not cheap.

Yeah, that's the key point not mentioned in the article: building your system
on AWS starts at $0. However... AWS costs can add up too. Most of their rates
are in pennies, but those pennies do add up eventually. But the free tiers do
help get customers hooked. So in total the idea of the article that z scales
more cost effectively than AWS may be fair, but doing direct apples-to-apples
comparisons is difficult.

But until we can say z/OS starts at $0, and we make it as easy to try as AWS,
getting new z/OS customers is going to be a struggle because new organizations
are going to start in the cloud.