Kees,

I don't have a general list of tips/pitfalls, but the z13s has a lot of new
features and options as compared to your z196 you probably should look at
IBM-MAIN and other sources of information to help you set them up, if you are
going to.

Some of the new capabilities are:

Simultaneous MultiThreading - To exploit this, you will need to have software
that can use SMT-2 and you will have to do the appropriate setup in the
software to make use of this.  This should be easy to set up, but it is up to
the OS to make use of this.  Also, SMT-2 can be used on an LPAR-by-LPAR basis.

z Storage Class Memory - You can have z/OS use this for paging store and this
will improve overall z/OS performance as compared to using paging store on a
DASD.

zAware - This can be used to better monitor z/OS and zLinux and hopefully spot
problems before they become severe.
zEDC

Migration of OSA/SF to the HMC

Absolute Capping of LPARs and Absolute Capping of LPAR Groups - This feature
can be very useful in ensuring an LPAR or group of LPARs doesn't use more
processing power than specified by the absolute cap regardless of the weights
of the active LPARs.  The interaction of absolute capping, absolute group
capping and LPAR weights and "classic" capping can be somewhat complicated and
I could answer specific questions if you have them.

System Activity Display (SAD) is no longer supported for z13/z13s.  Monitors
Dashboard is the only way to view system activity on the SE/HMC  for a z13s,
however, it is still available on the HMC for older systems.

A new "Energy Optimization Advisor" to help you understand system energy use
and make limited recommendations on ways to reduce it.

System Events was updated for 2.13.1

Lots of new and updated IO

More Security, including the elimination of the use of Java applets for HMC
functions

There are more changes, but I've listed some of the larger changes / new
features above.  If I knew what specific new features you plan on using, then I
would be willing to help answer any questions you have.

Tom