From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Clark Morris
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2017 8:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe jobs

[Default] On 6 Feb 2017 11:53:05 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
li...@akphs.com (Phil Smith III) wrote:

>Network World:
>
>By some estimates there will be more than 84,000 open positions in this
>field by 2020.
>

>http://www.networkworld.com/article/3161857/hardware/as-baby-boomers-re
>tire- the-shortage-of-mainframe-professionals-grows-more-acute.html

Given the slow and steady attrition of z series shops and movement to the
cloud, I do not believe it.  Are the salaries for mainframe technical people
increasing?  Are there mass recruitments for COBOL programmers or increased
salaries and contract rates?  I am grateful to have been able to retire when
I did.  I doubt the estimates given on the number of lines of COBOL source
for programs that are still actively in production given the number of
systems that have been replaced by packages such as SAP.  What is the
attendance at SHARE these days?  I doubt it is as high as when I was
participating in it.
Guide has been gone since 1999.  I doubt many of the newer ISV packages are
written in COBOL.  There isn't the same small system support for the 360
architecture there used to be and I doubt many organizations upgrade to z
from the IBM i series.  If any organization starts out on any system that is
ASCII/ISO oriented, I don't see that organization going through the pain to
get to z/OS and conversion to EBCDIC.

Unisys is selling Intel based servers running either OS2200 or MCP, with at
least the OS2200 based systems running with emulated code through firmware.
I doubt either are being sold to new customers.

Given the various Windows, Linux and Unix offerings I doubt there is much of
a growth market for z series or for any other mainframe architecture.

Incidentally, how secure is TPF?  I understand that it used be sort of like
Windows 3.1 in that everything was in the same address space for
performance.

If your shop was on Windows or some Unix variant for all of its processing,
would you recommend converting to z series?

Clark Morris