Steve,

  I completely agree. I looked for 6 months for something close to or in
Tampa, FL, with no luck. I did some contracting but had to travel each
week. No more. I have looked for remote support but as you stated they want
you to move to either Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa or Washington. I consider
those states southern Canada and will not be moving anywhere near them.
With VPN's these day, remote is a snap. I did it for 3 companies over 6
months and it was as if I was at the next desk of others who did live
there. Skype allows meeting attendance so I do not get the problem with it.
I have since sort of retired  but if something ever comes up I would
attempt it again. Sorry to hear I am not the only one.

John Clifford
Z/OS systems programmer (semi-retired)