On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:08:47 -0600, Walt Farrell wrote:

>In theory, similar supported located at the "edge" between z/OS and network
>apps would also allow mapping from a 32-character Linux ID to an 8-character
>z/OS ID, without user action.

Or even 7, for maximum TSO compatibility?

>It's not a perfect solution for what gil wants to see, but it would solve a
>lot of compatibility issues without requiring all the applications to change.
>Only the security products.

This seems to meet most requirements: TSO, UNIX, and LDAP.  Why, then, is there
any need for OA51203 or USERIDALIASTABLE?  And EIM appears to be done with RACF
which is the correct component for identity management.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1OA51203

>z/OS also provides functions, today, that applications can use for something
>similar: z/OS Enerprise Identity Mapping. For more about that you can see its
>Guide and Reference:
>
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/eima1170/CCONTENTS?SHELF=all13be9&DN=SA22-7875-09&DT=20100617152016
>or
>  http://preview.tinyurl.com/znostgd

Thanks.

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 20:37:41 -0500, Tom Conley wrote:

>> Dismayingly ironically, the need has been addressed by UNIX System Services:
>>      � z/OS 2.2.0
>>      � z/OS UNIX System Services
>>      � z/OS UNIX System Services Planning
>>      � Customizing z/OS UNIX
>>      � Customizing the BPXPRMxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB
>>      � Defining system features
>>      � USERIDALIASTABLE
>I must say one thing.  This entire post by Gil is untrue.  His
>conjecture about we should have done 32 characters would have made this
>project wait at least another, and possibly two releases of z/OS.  The
>line about deficient communication is unadulterated bull@#$%.  A large
>number of people at both IBM and OEM vendors have been working for years
>to deliver 8-character TSO support.  The work these people have done is
>worthy of praise, not damnation.  A non-disclosure prevents me from
>saying more at this time, but for the folks on the list, you need to
>know that Gil is completely wrong on this issue.

And I'll continue to disagree.  Not so much with Tom as with IBM's chaotic
design practices.  Given two very similar requirements (and perhaps a third),
expanding the user name spaces in TSO and UNIX System services, why:
o provide two separate solutions, OA51203 and USERIDALIASTABLE for UNIX
  when a single one should suffice?
o And why implement USERIDALIASTABLE, at the expense of decreased
  performance, outside RACF, the proper platform for identity management?

It appears that EIM should have been the single solution.

-- gil