Patrick Loftus wrote:

>Looks like 8 character TSO userid support in z/OS v2r3
>http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1OA51203

At last, many thanks, but that APAR is for a third party product?

I believe many program modules and control blocks might need to be revised.
That is a major project on its own... Of course RACF and SDSF for example, are
already fixed by now to handle ids with length 1 - 8 chars.

When we're at v2.3, I need to revise that TSO PREFIX to see if any changes are
needed and my ISPF exit 16 for example.

John McKown wrote:

>​Very true. I know of a lot of control block which look something like:
>USERID   DS 0CL8
>USERIDL  DS FL1
>USERIDV  DS CL7​

And lots of similar control blocks/macros in RACF, say from
SYS1.MACLIB(IHAACEE):

ACEEUSER DS    0CL9
ACEEUSRL DS    AL1
ACEEUSRI DS    CL8

Yes, my sample above is for a full 8 char id, but this show that layout is
similar and generally used for many such fields.

Generally, these layouts are definition of full field starting with length and
rest of that field sometimes padded to right with x'40'.

Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>> USERID   DS 0CL8
>> USERIDL  DS FL1
>> USERIDV  DS CL7​

>Why in that order rather than the reverse?

Do you have any samples of the reverse? Just curious of course.

But about 'why' - It is simply because how Assembler is working with [yet
unknown at start of processing] offsets inside a record trying to figure out
length of individual fields and offsets of each.

> UADS has outlived its usefulness.

False. If RACF is dead, what then? Yes, there are 1001 other ways to recover
[1] from that scenario, but having an 7 char TSO id in UADS, simply eliminates
many [or some if you like] steps to recovery. (with several replies on console
during a RACF FAILSOFT time)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - You must be fully prepared BEFORE any failure of course, otherwise you're
SOL!