In one sense, TSO userids have always 'tied up' 8 bytes, but the first byte by
convention has always been the length of the actual userid in the next 7
characters. This structure is utterly pervasive throughout TSO(/E). Not just
IBM processes but countless RYO and third party processes as well. Even the
structure of UADS for a user is set of multiple members named as userid+digit,
which requires an id of 7 characters or less.

The motivation for the increased length seems to me entirely a matter of
responding (dare I say catering?) to grousing from the non-mainframe world
where in many shops, the TSO id has to be different from the all other
applications that allow a full 8 characters. I don't find that requirement
offensive because in many shops, TSO ids are assigned by a pattern representing
department affiliation, where the first few characters indicate the users'
function. This actually simplifies access rules, since all, say, STORxxx users
can be granted elevated DASD management authority. If the person changes
function, you want the userid to lose the old authority in favor of whatever
comes next.

I've never been a promoter of increased userid length because I don't think
it's worth the enormous trouble it will cause. I think the vast majority of
shops will refrain from pulling the 8-character trigger and live comfortable
with the world as it's always been.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson