> "No company will pay you as much to STAY as another will pay you to GO"

As an entrepreneur interested in employee retention I gave this a lot of
thought. Why should this be? After all, one would think you should be more
valuable where you already are: you're all trained, there is no need for a
reference check, your co-workers are used to working with you, etc., etc.

I decided it was a management failure -- and even more a co-worker failure --
to see an employee as s/he could be rather than as s/he was when s/he was
hired. The interviewer sees you as you are today and where you could be in a
couple of years; your boss, and especially your co-workers, remember that
newbie doofus they hired five years ago.

I resolved to do better, to try to see people as they could be. I would like to
think I had some success.

For a small company, as I had, if you do things correctly you have the opposite
problem. A small company can sustain growth of 30% or so a year fairly readily,
and even higher when you are tiny. Most employees do not grow that fast: they
aren't 30% better every year. So you don't have a problem with employees
outgrowing their jobs; you have a problem of job requirements outpacing
employees. You start out billing $500K/year and hire a clerk to handle the
invoicing. With 30% compounded growth, five years later you are a two million
dollar company. That clerk has probably not grown in five years into an
accountant suitable for a two million dollar company. Yes, you can train
people, but not very fast. 9 out of 10 employees do not like to be pushed out
of their comfort zones.

Charles