>This is more a Friday type topic. But I'm curious about why the original
>designers of the S/360 went with "big endian" instead of "small endian"?
>The _only_ reason that I can think of is because our arithmetic "system" is
>"big endian". The more I think about it, the more Intel's "little endian"
>architecture makes more sense. I also wish the same were true of our
>writing (e.g. one hundred would be written 001, not 100). This latter would
>actually make outputting formatted numbers easier to program.

Firstly, I think its more apposite ask "why did Intel make the 80XX family
little endian." when every thing before, around that time and what came after
has been big endian?

I believe that the answer is that these are essentially 8-bit architectures and
process a byte at a time.
I believe that the little endian architecture saves space in the Microcode, as
16-bit loads are merely the 8-bit loads continued.

On a 32-bit word based machine, with word aligned operands, which is what the
S/360 was it makes no sense whatsoever.

>Oh, well, feel free to ignore this musing of mine.
>
>--
>"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
>ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion
>
>Maranatha! <><
>John McKown

Dave Wade