I could be wrong but I don't think many sites replace their mainframes with "server farms". Normally they would replace them with big boxes, rack servers or blades depending on the size of the system. HP Superdomes used to be popular a decade ago but it seems Xeon class x86 servers can now do the job and you can easily build a large system with sufficient failover for enterprise applications. Virtualization on x86 systems is so advanced these days that having to run huge amounts of servers is a myth. They squeeze every last watt out of the boxes. I know this because I've been working on projects moving data from z/OS to Linux on x86 and have been doing sysadmin on the Linux boxes. Having said that, migrating a complex application from a mainframe to any alternate platform is a major risk and not one that most sites would want to undertake.