Lizette (OP),

I would not recommend going to 32K as a blocking factor. Generically
speaking, all three vendor emulate a CKD track, allocating up to 64KiB of
space for every track.

Whether you use a regular formatted volume, or thin provisioning (DP-VOL in
Hitachi speak), if you write a 32K block to an emulated 3390 track, the
balance of the space will be wasted. Ipso fact you will use 41% more space
for the same amount of data at half-track.

1-(32768/(27998*2))=41%

Performance wise you will see almost no difference between a half track and
32K block IO. The normal defaults and limits for BAM chain length will apply
so you may pick up a few more bytes with the default of 5 buffers and 32K
blocks, but without zHPF there will be no benefit with a BUFNO set greater
than 7 = the BAM chain limit is 240KiB.

SDB also takes into account the format of DSORG=PS or PS-E files, so you
will get the appropriate blocking factor for the LRECL and format. The
underlying data set will use a physical blocks size based on the max block
specified for the data set, so unlike VSAM the physical block size is not
remapped from the CISZ.

I really don't see any upside to change this from half-track blocking. If
you want to speed up BAM IO, then make sure you are using zHPF and set
BUFNO=255. I don't think your application will notice the difference between
6.8MiB and 7.9MiB per SSCH, the TCW cost per SSCH for the controller is the
same, and you may realize just how much you really wanted SSD or FMD drives.

Ron