When there are only specific load modules in specific libraries for
which tracking is needed, there IS an approach that does not require any
fancy new measurement tools or software, but does require cooperation
from the RACF administrator.  It is possible to set up RACF Program
profiles specific to the load modules and libraries in question, not to
restrict access  to the load modules, but to allow the enabling of RACF
auditing of all access to the modules, which results in generation of
RACF SMF records when access occurs.  It's been some time since I've
done this (for some modules that were an issue during Y2K remediation),
but I'm pretty sure RACF auditing can be set to cut a record for any
module access, initial program load or dynamic fetch.  Those RACF SMF
records can be extracted and accumulated for what is deemed a sufficient
period of time.  Although not elegant, RACF also includes standard
reporting tools that will format and list information from the RACF SMF
records.

You will of course have to make a judgment of how long  a period (days,
months, years) RACF SMF data must continue to be collected and analyzed
before there is a high confidence all important references have been
occurred and been recorded.

If RACF Program profiles are not already in use at the installation, one
must of course be careful to set things up properly to preserve existing
default access before enabling.
    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org