On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:15:05 +0000, scott Ford wrote:

>What about having PC managers who don't understand z/OS or z/OS ppl?

One of the best managers I ever had was a PC weenie who knew
nothing about mainframes. He knew how to manage. He never tried
to make technical decisions because he knew that his people were
qualified to do that. He believed that the most important thing for
him to do was to keep the corporate bureaucracy out of our way
so that we could do our jobs. He enabled us to do our best work.

One of the worst managers was a highly competent technical person
who seemed to think that he needed to second guess everything
that we did. He didn't have the temperament to be a manager and
should have remained in a technical position, but he accepted the
change because idiotic bureaucracy couldn't give him a raise without
making him a manager.

--
Tom Marchant