> On Aug 21, 2017, at 8:08 AM, Tom Marchant
> <0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:15:05 +0000, scott Ford wrote:
>
>> What about having PC managers who don't understand z/OS or z/OS ppl?
>
> One of the best managers I ever had was a PC weenie who knew
> nothing about mainframes. He knew how to manage. He never tried
> to make technical decisions because he knew that his people were
> qualified to do that. He believed that the most important thing for
> him to do was to keep the corporate bureaucracy out of our way
> so that we could do our jobs. He enabled us to do our best work.
> ——————————————SNIP—————————————————————
The worst manager I have ever had did nothing but sharpen his pencils all day.
He was also the most political manager I have ever seen, he knew (somehow) that
manager x was in a bad mood stay away from him, or that manager b was a good
mood and you night get him to OK something. He would never go against the
corporate thinking. In general he would never make a decision (except to order
new pencils). I was told that he had worked his way up the corporate ladder as
he started out as a gas meter reader. He was the least technical manager I have
ever seen. He was also the cheapest manager I ever worked for. I got called in
on a Sunday morning because the system was down. He refused to pay my
parking($14), I told him to take my phone out the on call list as I will never
answer/come in on a call again. I would not work OT again either.
Ed