can the AMODE 64 Assembler routine establish its own ESTAE routine
which takes precedence over LE? Don't know, if there is already ESPIE / ESTAE
support for the 64 bit case (don't know much about AMODE 64 altogether).

I believe that with AMODE 31 this should be possible (establishing another
ESTAE routine, when LE is active), because IIRC this is what I did when calling
C and PL/1 routines from APL ... the ESTAE exit catches the errors in the
C/PL1 region and writes the data from the APL interface; this is when LE is
still active, because APL allows to establish a persistent LE environment
before calling the "real" function.

This reminds me again about all our struggle with the LE error handling at
my former customers site. We wanted (in the early 90s) to keep our very
sophisticated error handling based on ESPIE / ESTAE and not having LE doing anything about this, so we ran with NOSPIE,NOSTAE all the time ... which worked very good in the beginning (this was inherited from the 1980s, when there was only PL/1 and
ASSEMBLER, and it worked with the first C releases, too).

But then we had that problems with S0C8s introduced by C, so we had to run
with what was then called TRAP(ON). In the end we had to migrate all our
error handling logic to a "customer" LE error handler. This is what is done until today (AFAIK some special ESTAE handling is still active in the IMS/DC environment, the "customer" LE error handler did not work there correctly). I finished working
for this customer at the end of 2014, so I don't know the details of today.

Kind regards

Bernd