>If I had nothing better to do I would open an RFE on that. Even assuming AMODE
>31, how can LE assume that the high halves of the registers are of no
>debugging value? 64-bit register arithmetic -- or even using the high halves
>of registers as a temporary holding area -- is a valid technique even in the
>absence of AMODE 64. The C/C++ compiler itself does so.

Have a look at the "Language Environment Programming Guide for 64-bit Virtual
Addressing Mode" manual, chapter "Chapter 21. Assembler considerations". It has
some description about AMODE 64 assembler. I browsed it quickly, only. It talks
about XPLINK convention to be a prerequisite for AMODE 64 assembler in a LE
supported way. I never did anything with XPLINK, so I cannot say how much
effort this is, but maybe you can change your assembler code to be LE AMODE 64
compatible.
While your "SDWA hack" seems to work (today), it is cheating, as you said
yourself. May hurt you, or your customer in the future.

--
Peter Hunkeler