> On Sep 24, 2017, at 11:39 PM, Paul Gilmartin
> <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 23:27:40 -0500, Brian Westerman wrote:
>
>> Would that there were some sort of standard. :)
>> If your Systems Programmer wants to use SYS3, then that's great, although
>> it's not really going to help to have a SYS3.LINKLIB if you can't tell who's
>> linklib it is.  But maybe he uses SYS3.vendor.library.name, in which case
>> it's not much better than any other alternative.
>>
> Vendors ought to suggest installation paths for their software products.
> SYS3.vendor.** seems like a good idea.  Or incorporating the vendors'
> registered element prefix.
>
> Shops ought to follow those vendor suggestions:
> o It allows trying samples in the vendor documents with less tailoring
>  of DD statements.
> o It makes programmer skill sets more portable.  (But management
>  might consider that a bad idea.)
>
> -- gil

Gil,

I am very bitter about some OEM products. I have been burned so many times by
following their suggestions, that I just take their suggestion and improve upon
it. I always make notes or have another sysprog in the install process next to
me so they know what is going on at all times.

I have gotten to the point if I know something (bad) about the product and the
user wants it and I hate it. I make sure it doesn’t get bought.

Ed