From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 3:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SYS3 datasets

As others have said, there is no universal rule, just conventions adopted in
each shop--or in each mind! I personally think that 'SYS3' for 3rd party
products is a pretty cute mnemonic, but it's certainly not pervasive. One
requirement that we recently got reminded of is that a link list data sets must
be cataloged in the master catalog for 'normal' processing. You can use a user
cataloged data set with restrictions:

"If you plan to use a user catalog, you should be aware that the system will
not find the data set unless you specify both the name of the data set and the
volume serial number (VOLSER) of the DASD volume on which the data set resides.
(This restriction also applies if you are defining the LNKLST concatenation in
LNKLSTxx.)"

Specifically, we tried to link-list a user catalog library just for an IEFSSNxx
init routine. Module was not found. So if you plan to use anything other than
'SYS1' for such purposes, be sure that you put the whole set into MCAT.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company