I was hoping to determine if a program is allowed
to use the Additional Floating Point (AFP) registers.

There are two qualifications for this; first the "basic floating point extensions"
has to be installed (which can be assumed after OS/390 2.6) and
second, the AFP CONTROL BIT of Control Register 0 has to be enabled
(bit #13.)

So - while the hardware allows it, it's possible - for some reason or other -
the control register disallows it.

I'm looking around in the various locations (CVT, PSA, etc...) and hunting
for a mechanism where an application program can ask "Am I allowed to
use all 16 floating-pt registers, or am I restricted to the traditional 4?"

Is there an assembler service somewhere that provides the value of control
registers?  You can just use STORE CONTROL (STCTL) instruction as it is
privileged.

   - Many thanks -
   - Dave Rivers -

--