>I guess it's stuck at always saving/restoring the AFP regs if the
>CVTBFPH flag

not true.

You do not have to save/restore if the registers are not currently being
saved/restored (because upon their first use, their value will be 0).
.
IHASTCB byte STCBFPFL bit STCBBFP is on if and only if the AFPRs are being
used.
IHAPSA byte PSAFPFL bit PSABFP is similarly on (I need to, and will do so
going forward, update IHAPSA to indicate that PSAFPFL is an interface,
which, as the commentary indicates, is the case for PSABFP and PSAVSS).

And, FWIW, there is no reason to check CVTBFPH if running on any support
z/OS release.

If you happened to have control over the usage "beneath you", then you
could take advantage of that knowledge: the requirement is to preserve
which could either by by not using or by save/restore.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design