On 11/26/2017 1:29 PM, Tom Brennan wrote:
Thanks, I think the default is GNOME now that you mention the name.  Oh, I assumed all GUI's were X11.  If GNOME is not, that's a plus for me - X11 applications always seem a hassle to connect (my uneducated opinion).

They're all *on top of* the X Windowing System originally from MIT, usually the Xenocara cut these days.

GTK+ and Qt are *class libraries* implemented in terms of X.

Gnome and KDE, etc., are Windowing Managers (which are pluggable in X) and associated Desktop Suites.

Additionally, Gnome and KDE use data buses external to the X Windowing System to do their magic.

Writing a new substantial GUI application? Program in Java and Swing.

--
Jack J. Woehr     # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe