On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

> >What does this exactly mean: "freemained frames"? Is it just a counter or
> do they refer to specific frames, that are kept at hand in the address
> space for faster assignment of new frame requests?
>  >
> >I am not surprised that those frames, if they are "available" at all, are
> not accessible anymore and access is punished with the same 0C4 as any
> other not getmained frame.
>

> See OA46291. The APAR is for z/OS V2.1 and V1.13, it is in the base for
> z/OS V2.2.
>

> With this new function, RSM (SRM?) may decide *not* to free the frames
> that are backing some virtual area upon a STORAGE RELEASE or FREEMAIN. It
> is a significant change, IMHO, since a program might continue to
> (erroneously) access storage that has been freed but *not* getting an
> S0C4-10/11 because the frame is still assigned. Or, it may get an
> S0C4-10/11 at some later point if RSM decided to really free some such
> frame at a later time.

​Ack! Pooie! If it were possible, I would set up my code so that _any_
access to an address which has not been properly "getmain'd" would
_immediately_ S0C4-?? Again, IMO, any access to "unallocated" memory is an
"overrun" situation which should be _fixed_ in the code. The previous may
be influenced from my study (not use) of the IBMi architecture wherein you
simply _cannot_ access something which is not properly allocated. Memory
allocation on the IBMi is "weird".​

> I do not want to build on that function to cheat. I'm wondering what
> information a dump would reveal in such a case. What would VSM tell me? etc.
>

> --
> Peter Hunkeler

I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown