Hi Folks,

   As you probably know by now, z/OS 2.3 has introduced the possibility of having 8-character TSO userids and 8-character TSO prefixes.  These name fields were previously limited to 7 characters, ever since TSO came into existence.  (I think the reason for the limitation was that the SYS1.UADS members, representing the definition of TSO userids before RACF, ACF2, Top Secret etc. had to have a number at the end of them, i.e. IBMUSER0, IBMUSER1, etc.  So the id itself was limited to 7 characters in length.)

   Many programs, especially TSO commands, look to find the TSO userid in the PSCBUSER field (7 characters long) of the PSCB control block (mapped by macro IKJPSCB).  Also, the TSO prefix for your session is usually found in the UPTPREFX field (also 7 characters) of the UPT control block (mapped by macro IKJUPT).

   General 8-character userid support, in z/OS 2.3 (and presumably above) is turned on or off by a switch.  It was explained to me, that the support is quite complicated, so the installation has to be able to decide whether to turn it on, or not.  The installation's control is in PARMLIB member IKJTSOxx, in the LOGON parameter: