On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 01:09:58 -0500, Sam Golob wrote:

>     One way of getting around it is not to turn on the 8-character id
>support.  But people in IBM have told me that they want to eventually
>make 8-character id support the default, so we've got to get there
>sooner or later.

Underreaching.  8 is the minimum accepted by many organizations.  But
many OSes support much longer.  As long as an incompatible change is
being made, they should have gone to much longer than 8.  At the very
least, the new fields could have been made larger than 8 to accommodate
possible future enhancements.

-- gil