> On Dec 14, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Sam Golob <sbgo...@cbttape.org> wrote:
>
>    As you probably know by now, z/OS 2.3 has introduced the possibility of
> having 8-character TSO userids and 8-character TSO prefixes.  These name
> fields were previously limited to 7 characters, ever since TSO came into
> existence.  (I think the reason for the limitation was that the SYS1.UADS
> members, representing the definition of TSO userids before RACF, ACF2, Top
> Secret etc. had to have a number at the end of them, i.e. IBMUSER0, IBMUSER1,
> etc.  So the id itself was limited to 7 characters in length.)

Sam,

Almost…..  in the beginning there was sys1.uads 7 character ID . Then if you
wanted to have a special accounting info etc and there was only so much space
(IIRC 800 bytes) if you needed multiple accounts and accounting info etc the ID
was extended until (I think 800 bytes) then in order to allow additional
accounting info etc another “id” was created so instead of pepper an extension
(new member) was created called pepper1 and so on and so forth until pepper9
so, if memory serves me everybody had a pepper0 then depending on accounting
info etc the next “id” was pepper1 etc etc pepper9.

Its been a while so that first ID ended with hex zero then the second was 1
(this part here I am iffy on) as we only had 1 or 2 that had the added
character. I just don’t remember of it was hex 00 then hex 01 or if it was a
character 1 then 2 etc,,

ED