From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Sam Golob
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Converting programs to accommodate 8-character userids and
prefixes

Hi Folks,

     I'm commenting on Ed Gould's comments.  Thanks Ed.  Much obliged.

     I've used MVT in the old days, but I'm not an expert from then.  A few
years ago, I was experimenting with the ACCOUNT command to create new userids
in SYS1.UADS (on z/OS), and I noticed that the size of each member was
dependent on the BLKSIZE of the SYS1.UADS dataset.  For example, if your
SYS1.UADS had a block size of 800, each member could be only one block, and
therefore it had to be limited to 10 records.  But when I blocked SYS1.UADS at
8000, each member was 100 records.

     In the old days, it was customary to block SYS1.UADS at 800 bytes. So
those userid members, being only 10 records long, sometimes needed several
members to accommodate the information from several accounts, or logon
procedures, or passwords, connected with a single userid.  Hence the USERID0,
USERID1, USERID2 members, etc.

     In any case, it was quite a restrictive system, and the 7-character
limitation has lasted, in TSO, for a very long time.  Until now.

     Now, hundreds of programs have to be updated.  We are working on it.  If
any of you has fixed something related to this (or NOT related to this), please
send it to me for inclusion on the CBT Tape, in order to benefit everyone else.
Thanks much........  We appreciate all the help we can get.

     One way of getting around it is not to turn on the 8-character id support.
 But people in IBM have told me that they want to eventually make 8-character
id support the default, so we've got to get there sooner or later.

     All the best of everything to all of you.......

Sincerely,   Sam