> On Dec 19, 2017, at 11:38 PM, Sam Golob <sbgo...@cbttape.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ed,
>
>     Ah, nostalgia....!!!
>
>     Funny thing is, UADS was studied in depth by Jim Marshall in the early
> 90's.  And although it's not too wise to use it (via the ACCOUNT command) to
> define working userids in a production system, but on a development system
> the knowledge of SYS1.UADS can come in very handy.  See Jim's files:  CBT
> Files 300 and 316.  Very neat stuff.  Jim also got me involved in studying
> SYS1.BRODCAST at that time, and that knowledge from him, helped get me
> started to develop my SYS1.BRODCAST package (free version on CBT File 247).
> Of course I didn't do it just for fun.  Our installation was (effectively) a
> service bureau, in which we had to preserve one of our subsidiary data
> center's BRODCAST messages, and we couldn't just wipe BRODCAST with the SYNC
> command the way IBM "requires".  We had to do it intelligently--not just burn
> down the barn and rebuild it, every time it got dirty.  So I wrote programs
> to back SYS1.BRODCAST up, print messages from the backup copy, and do all
> kinds of other things to it, with the help of Vinh Vu.

Good gravy, its been ages like you said. Jim Marshall rings a bell for some
reason. Was he a project manager at Guide? I am at a loss because the name is
someone that might have been involved in the 3850 MSS. I could be wrong. I
can’t think of anything TSO related though. The *ONLY* remotely possible was he
responsible for writing the Program called COPYCAT (Bell Labs?). That program
saved my ass as one of the first items that I ran into in my new job was the
people had not allocated enough space for their production CVOL. what a
lifesaver. We were down for about 1 hour and if I had had to use IEHMOVE it
would have been all night or more.

>     So for me the UADS (and BRODCAST) experience is more recent than the
> 1970's.  But MAN..!!!  Do I enjoy listening to people who have EXPERIENCE..!
> Thanks, Ed.  I remember those days too.  Had some real fun, (adventures, and
> all-night IPL's).

As I have gotten older and the more senior people do not have to come in in the
middle of the night for just any emergency, The 0300 calls have dropped to
zero. The 0400 call to take the dog out for walks is a pain but you know bed is
coming soon.

Ed