Let me add to my post - if you read abut SMF CI Size in member ACHAP03 of the
MXG  source/documentation library, you will see a very good discussion of the
trade-off between DASD space and CISIZE in MANx datasets.  Apparently SMF
doesn't do VBS in the MANx datasets in the same way "regular" VBS is done, and
can waste space because of how it does it.  The ANALSMF program includes what
they call an "SMF Simulator" that attempts to help you find the optimum CISIZE
for the SMF records you produce.

There are also a lot of other SMF tips in ACHAP03 that are worth reading.  If
you don't have MXG perhaps you could contact Dr. Merrill and ask if he would
share that information as a separate document or if he has done a SHARE
presentation about it.