On 3/29/18, 11:23 AM, "IBM Mainframe Discussion List on behalf of John McKown"
<IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU on behalf of john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a weird idea that is floating around in my head. I am wondering if
there is any software which can create a "picture", "diagram", or
"flowchart" of JCL? I'm not too sure if this is even a useful thought. It's
just a scratch that I must itch (or something like that).
What this may eventually morph into is a scheduling diagram showing our
production job flow.

A while back, there was a tool that did something similar for CMS pipelines
applications and could step through the operation of the pipeline app and
visualize it.  I'm drawing a blank on the name, but I think it was called
PIPETEST or something similar, written by someone at SAS Institute. (There was
a YouTube video of it on developerworks, but it seems to be Yet Another Missing
Document 404 on an IBM website and the developerworks web site is completely
offline at the moment (midday on a business day -- seriously, IBM?)). I wonder
if that could be a good starting point. You'd have to generate a formal grammar
for JCL and then write the interpreter for it, but the grammar might exist
somewhere; on Linux, you could use yacc and lex to eat a job stream and parse
out the various bits you're interested in. It'd be a lot of footwork, but
certainly not impossible.

I think most job schedulers have some tool to visualize workflows, although
they're of varying quality. If you have TWS, TWSGRAPH does a pretty fair job of
showing the structure of a job stream, but it's certainly not free.

(PS -- if there's anyone at IBM listening, it'd be really useful for you to
contact Google and the other major search engines and ask them to flush and
reindex all of *.ibm.com. The amount of dead links pointing to non-existing
data is really starting to get irritating...)