On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:15:26 -0500, Steve Horein <steve.hor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In the DEFINE ALIAS doc here (for reference):
>https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.idai200/da6i2100.htm
>and here (for detail):
>https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.idai200/da6i2102.htm
>:
>
>"If the entryname in the RELATE parameter is non-VSAM, choose an aliasname in
>the NAME parameter. This is done to ensure the multilevel alias facility
>selects the catalog that has the entryname."

"multilevel alias"?  Does this mean I should be able to define an alias of an
alias?
I thought I had tried that and, alas, it failed.

>To me, that last sentence indicates the aliasname is required to be in the
>same catalog as the entry name.
>I had to read it a couple of times to get the gist of it.

This is so obscure a pitfall that IDCAMS ought to issue a message when the
guideline is violated.

And the suggestion is useless.  Forcing B's alias into A's catalog simply causes
JCL //NAME DD DSN=B.WHAT.EVER to fail sooner.

-- gil