From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2018 10:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Linklist and APF

Let me put on my security preacher hat for a moment.

Yes, what Eileen says is a fact: there is no z/OS "enforcement" of RENT unless
the program is from an APF library. You can easily get surprised by "where did
that S0C4 come from?"

But that is not the big issue.

If you are getting "surprised" by "oh gosh, look at that, it's getting loaded
from an APF library" then you do not have proper controls over what is probably
THE most critical aspect of mainframe integrity, and as Barry Schrager observed
at the dawn of mainframe security, without integrity there is no security. APF
libraries are the keys to the kingdom. If I worked for you, and I were a
malicious programmer, and I observed that if I did X and Y and Z then my
program would end up in an APF library without any management or security
review, then I OWN your mainframe. An APF-authorized program can do ANYTHING.
Ray Overby and others have demonstrated at SHARE that just a few lines of
obscure binary in an authorized program can give the user RACF SPECIAL and/or
OPERATIONS/PRIVILEGED with NO AUDIT TRAIL WHATSOEVER, and from there on out the
sky is the limit.

There are two pieces to APF authorization, AC=1 and the library. There are no
controls over AC=1 -- any programmer can do it. It is up to you to control APF
libraries rigorously.

Charles