On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 01:21:06 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

>My very first oh-dark-thirty support call as a sysprog was for a program I had
>just updated. I had cluelessly assembled it using JCL that had RENT,REFR in
>the link edit step. After testing, I moved it from the non-APF test library to
>the APF production library. Big S0C4.
>
>All inadvertent. A set of lessons I have never forgotten.

If something like the function of REFRPROT had operated on non-APF libraries
the problem would have been discovered during testing rather than production.
I consider this uniformity a powerful argument for universal REFRPROT.

How, then, was it possible to protect code loaded from APF authorized libraries
but not from other libraries?

>Changing the behavior when page protection was added would be viewed,
>properly, as incompatible and thus unacceptable.

It is always proper to report errors, even those that had never been detected
before.

>And the extra storage utilization (page multiple on page boundary) might have
>been felt to be unacceptable too (perhaps no longer).

Understood.  I don't know how great an impact it would have been.  Apparently
it was deemed acceptable for APF libraries.

>Users are creative and might have chosen to rely on the existing documented
>behavior. It is also well known that the system does not "protect" against
>reentrant programs writing into themselves, just makes it harder. And it is
>also well known that a program could write into itself and still be reentrant
>(although that is surely frowned upon these days).

Are you conflating RENT and REFR?  I understand the long-standing exception
for RENT, but was it ever documented that a program could write into itself and
still be REFR?

-- gil