On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:05:29 -0500, Jerry Callen wrote:

>OK, a few clues.
>
>bpxmtext is, as others have pointed out, a rexx exec. In at least some cases
>it turns around and calls another rexx exec, edcmtext. That, in turn winds up
>looking at this module: CEE.SCEERUN(EDCEJR). That, finally, contains message
>text. The rexx is (to me, a non-rexx programmer) somewhat inscrutable. Just
>groveling over a binary copy of CEE.SCEERUN(EDCEJR) suggests that it has some
>sort of index table at the front, followed by the actual message texts.

Doesn't your License Agreement prohibit such reverse engineering?  From:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zproblem/bpx.htm
  z/OS problem management
BPXMTEXT for z/OS UNIX reason codes

BPXMTEXT is shipped in SYS1.SBPXEXEC and must be in SYSEXEC or SYSPROC to use.
It can run from TSO, IPCS, or the z/OS UNIX Shell. In z/OS V1R8 and above, you
can use BPXMTEXT to interpret errnojr values from zFS (reason code
qualifier=EFxx) and TCP/IP (reason code qualifier=7xxx). In z/OS V1R9 and
above, you can interpret errnojr values from the C/C++ run-time library (reason
code qualifier=Cxxx).

Are those DDNAMEs allocated?  (But do they survice the spawn()/exec() in
popen()?)

>And that's all I have time for today (all of 5 minutes...). Maybe in a few
>more days I can dig deeper.
>
>Would an API have been SO hard? Grrrr....

The example in:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.bpxb100/epct.htm
doesn't help much.

Grrrr,