On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:02:19 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 20:13:35 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
>>The ASCII bit in the PSW affected only the decimal instructions, including
>>UNPK.
>>
>Doesn't UNPK just swap nybbles of the rightmost byte

It does do that.

>and set all other
>zone bits to 0 regardless of character set?

No. It never sets the zone bits to 0.
It sets the zone bits to F when in EBCDIC mode and to 5 when in ASCII mode.

Don't forget ASCII was a 7-bit code. IBM was probably among the first to
design an 8-bit extension. I don't know when an 8-bit ASCII standard was
introduced.

--
Tom Marchant