The whole ASCII-EBCDIC thing certainly has been a huge cost—probably, as Gil
suggests, as large as the other two combined. But I’d argue that it wasn’t
necessarily either EBCDIC or ASCII’s fault, just that they evolved in parallel
and neither truly “won” [insert another debate about what “winning” would mean
here: clearly in terms of number of systems and raw horsepower, ASCII won; in
terms of business criticality, z holds its own, or it would presumably no
longer exist]. The NTS thing always struck me as hopelessly naïve, and case
sensitivity as some combination of naïveté and laziness.

I understand that PDP horsepower was quite low, and so both of these made sense
at the time. That doesn’t make them good or smart design decisions. Of course
it’s easy to Monday-morning quarterback this.

The funny part about case sensitivity is that if you ask a *ix person why it’s
good, they almost universally assert that it is, but cannot come up with a
reason why, OR a case where you would deliberately mix two files or commands
with the same letters but different case (“CONFIG.txt” and “config.txt”, et
sim).

I’ve also always been surprised that no *ix implementation ever bit the bullet
and tried to fix case sensitivity. Windows, of course, got it right; alas,
given the historical antipathy *ix folks have for Windoze, I fear that’s all
the more reason it will never get fixed…