From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: So much for THAT excuse | Computerworld SHARK TANK

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 20:13:35 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>The ASCII bit in the PSW affected only the decimal instructions, including
>UNPK.

Doesn't UNPK just swap nybbles of the rightmost byte and set all other
zone bits to 0 regardless of character set?

>It did not affect how the card reader read zoned numeric data.

I doubt that any IBM card reader had any awareness of zoned numeric --
bytes wuz bytes.

I understand the most primitive ASCII-EBCDIC mapping was derived
from Hollerith punch cards in the specification of ASCII.  Was there
ever a (non-IBM, surely) card reader that conveted Hollerith to ASCII?

-- gil