On 28/01/2019 12:47 pm, Jim Mulder wrote:
   It is unfortunate that IBM does not make PL/X (which
has object-oriented capabilities) available
to ISVs.
Is OO PL/X still being used for active development at IBM? I can remember a conversation I had with a guy from Hursley who told me OO PL/X was buggy and inefficient. With typical British humour they had renamed it "ooh ooh" PL/X! It may have been fixed since then but the complaints were many. Code quality/bloat was a problem as was "Is-A" hell which resulted in difficult to understand code. Bugs were not fixed promptly so they ditched
it and used vanilla PL/X.

Overuse of inheritance has been a big problem with OO code for decades which is why it's avoided these days unless it really is "Is-A" and not just
code reuse using the wrong tool for the job.

C++ is not suitable for low-level code on z/OS because of LE. The debugging aids like the traceback are fantastic for fixing easy problems but when it gets tricky IPCS is still the go and the LE condition handlers get in the way. But IMO it's a fantastic language for writing problem state ISV applications.