On 2019-02-18, at 15:20:08, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

> [Dual-posted to ISPF-L and IBM-MAIN]
>
> On my employer's z/OS 2.2 system and as far back as they have employed me
> (OS/390 R10 IIRC), pressing "Attention" (Esc on my PCOMM keyboard map) while
> in an ISPF screen "refreshes" the screen to the last stable state, so if you
> accidentally erased a whole line of program code or JCL you can recover what
> was there before the erase as long as you didn't press Enter or any PF/PA key
> before pressing "Attention".

On a real 3270 that's more likely to be PA2.  Does your emulator have a
graphic pop-up keypad you can experiment with?  Of course, keys can be mapped
at both emulator and ISPF.

> On a friend's z/OS system (not sure of the release), pressing "Attention" at
> any ISPF screen causes the terminal to be taken out of service (VTAM INACT).

That's more like classic ATTN.  And it may depend further on whether your
LOGON proc sends you to VTAM solicitor, TSO, or ISPF.

Too many knobs and levers, and not the right ones.

And CMS XEDIT provides finer granularity: ERASE EOF at the beginning of any
field causes that field to be refreshed with unmodified content.

-- gil