This is pretty interesting to me, because in the past I've noticed that when I connect to TSO via a 3270 control unit (let's call that port 3270) such as on the Hercules TK4 setup, Vista TN3270 Attention doesn't work as expected - X-SYSTEM appears but nothing else happens. But Attention DOES work when I connect to a z/OS system via TCPIP/TN3270 (let's call that port 23).

Now with PCOMM, Attention works fine via TCPIP port 23, and *also* works fine via a control unit port 3270 So what's up with that? I took some WireShark traces just now and here are the bytes that flew by:

Key      Vista      PCOMM
PA1      6CFFEF    6CFFEF        same
PA2      6EFFEF    6EFFEF        same
Attn     FFF3      6CFFEF FFF3   different!

So if you ask me, PCOMM (very old version on my PC by the way) is sending *both* a PA1 and Attention sequence to the TN3270 server. Since (externally) that seems to act exactly like PA1 when it arrives, all I can guess is the FFF3 is being ignored. That actually works better on a 3270 port because it causes the action I want and doesn't lock up the screen.

Notes: For this test I used the PCOMM keypad pulldown which I assume has never been altered by me over the years I've had the program. 6C and 6E are AID (attention identifier) bytes. AID codes are passed to the host when you press a key such as Enter, Clear, PF keys, and of course PA1/PA2/Attn. The FFEF marks the end of a TN3270 data block, so we can ignore that. Any FFxx code is picked up by the TN3270 server (never sent to VTAM in that form), and in this case supposed to do whatever logic is needed to tell VTAM an attention was issued. PCOMM may have options to alter its Attention processing - I know there are a whole lot of INI options in that program. If I touched something there, I've long since forgotten.