There's no comparison with the ship's machinery.  That was designed by very
conservative naval architects, and the propulsion system has far greater
forces to deal with than gyroscopic effects.  I don't think it's totally
implausible a disk drive not designed for a moving environment could cut
loose... but those things were over-engineered quite a bit too.  So I for
one abstain for the time being.

sas

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:12 PM Ron Hawkins <ron.hawk...@ipsicsopt.com>
wrote:

> Will,
>
> I'm thinking that just because one article says the story is urban legend,
> there are more references that talk to the FirstRand I actually being
> installed on a US Navy ship.
>
> This 1st person posting says that it was on the USS Hunley, and the poster
> was on board they removed it.
> http://www.navydp.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=115
>

> I checked the video twice when they talked about the FirstRand I on one of
> the navy ships, and did not hear them say it was a legend.
>
> Interesting that Australia used them in the telegram messaging systems.
>

> RON HAWKINS
> Director, Ipsicsopt Pty Ltd (ACN: 627 705 971)
> m+61 400029610| t: +1 4085625415 | f: +1 4087912585

sas