From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Seymour J Metz
Sent: 23 July 2019 17:35
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DASD nostalgia

Nothing as drastic as the alleged FastRand, but I can vouch for 3330 and
3330-equivalent drives dancing. My boss told me to write a program that started
at the middle of the pack and then did seeks in and out to the first untouched
cylinder until it had hit every cylinder. I told him that the timings from the
test would have no relevance to performance in the wild, but he insisted that I
write it anyway.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

--
This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by Google Message Security
and the UNICOM Global security systems. This message is for the named