I've been using this for ages, and in case you've never heard of it:

MACRO_MSG Set or Query the Macro Message switch

The MACRO_MSG assignment statement sets or retrieves the value of the
macro_msg switch, which controls whether macro processing delivers ISPF
messages to the macro.

Syntax

>>--ISREDIT--(varname)-- = --MACRO_MSG----------------------------------><

                             +-ON--+
>>--ISREDIT--MACRO_MSG-- = --+-----+------------------------------------><
                             +-OFF-+

varname The name of a variable containing the setting of MACRO_MSG.

ON      ISPF messages generated by macro commands are formatted.
OFF     ISPF messages are not formatted.

Description

The MACRO_MSG assignment statement sets a switch for subsequent macro
processing. When set ON, any message that is generated by a macro command
is formatted and made available in variables in ZEDILMSG, ZEDISMSG, and
ZEDMSGNO.

This is a diagnostic switch and should only be used to extract messages as
required. Macros that perform operations on many edit lines may experience
a performance degradation if this switch is ON.

Return codes

0   Normal completion
20  Severe error

I now wanted to use it to get at the message set by the "COMPARE" command, as that just returns RC=0, no matter (differences or no differences) what, but in this case all three above mentioned variables come back as 8-character blank strings. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Replies please to IBM-MAIN only (I cross-posted this also to ISPF-L)

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins(a)gmail.com