On 2020-02-04 10:56, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, at 11:44, Robert Prins wrote:

It also updates the change-logs in each of the affected execs, and as
we keep a few generations of older versions around, it's irritating
that compares show that the change-log has been updated, but
that there are no other changes.

So "it also updates the change-logs in each of the affected execs"
statement is incorrect.   They weren't 'affected execs'.

Why on earth are you updating change-logs with (in effect) "no change"
statements?

Why don't you stop inserting pointless change-log entries ... then you
won't have the 'compare' problem?

The input file for the affected execs does change, but the changes may not affect all of the REXX execs/edit macros that are used to process its contents. The "master" exec/edit macro (it's both) just extracts all the relevant data, and passes it on to the various per-exec/edit macro subroutines. It has no clue whether the data to be processed by any of these other exec/edit macros has changed.

The, until yesterday, code would willy-nilly copy the new data, whether changed or not, into the member, and update the change-log. What I wanted to do was to just insert the data, do a "COMPARE *", and then either do a "cancel", if there were no changes, or call a common subroutine to update the change-log.

Given that the "COMPARE" command doesn't seem to return its messages in the designated variables, I have for now resorted to comparing every line of the block-of-lines-to-be-replaced with its new version, and only when that tells me that there are any changes I will replace the old lines with the new ones, and update the change-log.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org