On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, at 16:31, Robert Prins wrote:
> On 2020-02-04 14:39, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

> > That's confusing.  Earlier you implied it was the execs (ie the logic, I
> > assumed)
> > that was changing.  Now you say it's the data.  Have you got both logic and
> > data
> > in the same file(s)?
>
> 1) An input file, subject to frequent changes (at least once per month),
> processed by a handful of execs/edit macros
>
> 2) A handful of execs/edit macros that process the input file, with
> some of them using some (potentially new, last new keyword was
> added on 2018-07-31) keywords from 1)
>
> 3) A "master" exec/edit macro that reads 1), and updates the keyword tables
> inside the "handful of others"
>
> > Why don't you leave the execs alone and make them read their data from
> > external files, and just change those?
>
> If my uncle had been a woman, she'd my aunt...

OK, fair enough... and if you were designing it now you'd probably choose
a different structure.

Couldn't the table inside the execs, that gets changed every so often, be put
in
a rexx external function, called by every exec/macro that needs to access the
data?  Or be vput into application profile variables, or even an ispf table?

Whether that's practical depends on the size of the table(s), I suppose.

> >   I suppose I'd have chosen to read the existing definitons first and only
> > call an
> > edit macro to update them if they needed to change.
>
> Same difference, but in that case you would have to open the "handful
> of others"  potentially twice!

So what?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.