On 2020-02-04 14:39, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
On 2020-02-04 10:56, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, at 11:44, Robert Prins wrote:

It also updates the change-logs in each of the affected execs, and as
we keep a few generations of older versions around, it's irritating
that compares show that the change-log has been updated, but
that there are no other changes.

So "it also updates the change-logs in each of the affected execs"
statement is incorrect.   They weren't 'affected execs'.

Why on earth are you updating change-logs with (in effect) "no change"
statements?

Why don't you stop inserting pointless change-log entries ... then you
won't have the 'compare' problem?

The input file for the affected execs does change, but the changes may not
affect all of the REXX execs/edit macros that are used to process its contents.
The "master" exec/edit macro (it's both) just extracts all the relevant data,
and passes it on to the various per-exec/edit macro subroutines. It has no clue
whether the data to be processed by any of these other exec/edit macros has
changed.

That's confusing.  Earlier you implied it was the execs (ie the logic, I
assumed)
that was changing.  Now you say it's the data.  Have you got both logic and data
in the same file(s)?

1) An input file, subject to frequent changes (at least once per month), processed by a handful of execs/edit macros

2) A handful of execs/edit macros that process the input file, with some of them using some (potentially new, last new keyword was added on 2018-07-31) keywords from 1)

3) A "master" exec/edit macro that reads 1), and updates the keyword tables inside the "handful of others"

Why don't you leave the execs alone and make them read their data from
external files, and just change those?

If my uncle had been a woman, she'd my aunt...

The code in some of the "handful of others" goes back to 1992, the "master" exec was added as a quick hack in 2005, as manually updating the "handful of others" was error-prone.

The, until yesterday, code would willy-nilly copy the new data, whether changed
or not, into the member, and update the change-log. What I wanted to do was to
just insert the data, do a "COMPARE *", and then either do a "cancel", if there
were no changes...

  I suppose I'd have chosen to read the existing definitons first and only call
an
edit macro to update them if they needed to change.

Same difference, but in that case you would have to open the "handful of others" potentially twice!

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org